Default New Grout: Color Came Out Too Light

I just completing retiling my bathroom (including shower floor, shower walls, and shower ceiling for a curbless shower). The grout color (Polyblend's Winter Gray) came out much ligher than the color it should have (it came out as an off-white/light gray color as opposed to a dark gray). I suspect too much water was used during installation. In an attempt to darken up the tile, I did an acid wash with vinegar (50% diluted with water) and scrubbed the grout. The grout did darken a little, but not enough. What are my options and the pros and cons for each? A stronger acid wash using a different acid? Colorseal? My concern with colorseal is that the color might wash off over time, resulting is a uglier look than if I were to do nothing (or just acid wash it again).

colorseal it. If I were you I would hire a professional in your area to do this. If not done perfectly it will look horrible. DO NOT use the homedepot or lowes type stains for grout. Do not use Auamix either.

email me if you would like some further advice and things to watch out for.

"The enjoyment of quality lasts long after the price is forgotten."

Default Aquamix sealer

I saw Aquamix grout color sealer in a local tile store. Its bottle indicates that it is applicable to sanded grout, unsanded grout, and epoxy grout. Wow! I thought that it is a god sending product.

I heard that it is rather difficult to apply, such as difficult to remove the residue from tiles after a short period time. What is the problem using the Aquamix other than this?

my concern with the colorseal is that it could end up looking worse, b/c of either bad application (regardless of whether DIY or professionally installated) or due to moisture and pressure in the shower. I also have heated floors if that makes any difference. I don't want to have to touchup or periodically re-apply sealer - I want a once and done solution (other than routine cleaning). I heard enhancers are also an option but have been told that they could definetly make the grout look blotchy (and are therefore very risky). Does anyone have any expierence with fixing this type of problem with an acid wash? I take it acid washing has low to no risk of worsening the problem? If I could somehow darken up the grout color to its intended color, I would be happy.

Acid washing will do nothing to fix your problem, using too much acid will do more to hurt the grout then help.

Do you have sanded or un-sanded ?

If you have un-sanded grout, just live with it.

If you have sanded grout you can either use an enhancer which will need to be reapplied from time to time. Or you can color seal it which is your best shot at a permanent solution.

I have unsanded grout (grout lines are the thickness of a penny, title is 12 by 24). The plan was for the grout to seamlessly blend with the tile (such that it would be barely visible - that plan apparently did not work out). I suppose that I will either have to live with it or replace the grout altogether (that might be challenging since I have a floor to ceiling glass enclosure and it could be difficult removing the grout where the tile abuts the glass without scratching the glass). What would be a good price for me to pay to hire someone to regrout on a per SF basis?

Live with it. Everything you propose could open the can of worms. So it is a little light the most I would do is an enhancer. If water darkens it go with an enhancing sealer.

Now is when the DIYer will appreciate the "True Professional"...Spoken as a DIYer myself.

Pete
    Pete Hagar

My phone is always open, I live in the eastern time zone.

Play to Win,

"We make our own opportunities in...."