Default Cat or pet urine smell

With cement based grouts they can hold on to the urine smell, not to mention that it may have passed to the subfloor. As a tile guy I would encourage a full tear out replace prime sub-floor or replace affected areas.

With the sealers discussed in this forum have you found any sealers that block the smell from the sub-floor?

Hi there,
    Sometimes it is a misnomer to think of a cement based material "holding odor".

Most of the time it is active bacteria that is the problem.

The bacteria likes warm, moist, and fertile substrates and grout many times offers this environment in areas that are not regularly maintained.

1st check ventilation and moisture removal avenues the installation should have.

If there is a drain, the primary drain should have all openings well open.

Many times there is a secondary drain system you do not see if you don't know it is supposed to be there. If the original installation blocked this then water gets in under the grout. This is bad but easily remedied.

Next hurts people's feelings but is the truth. Grout isn't supposed to patina, change color or be permanently wet.
    If it is the regular maintenance plan is poorly implemented, because either dirt isn't being removed, the tools for cleaning are dirty, or the operator doesn't really know or care how important their task is.

There are several good chemicals on the market that can remedy a problem and yes STT makes the best IMO. However, it is false to expect a chemical to alter poor practices or incomplete programs.

Alcohols, Silver derivatives, acids, and quaternary formulas actual can remove the problem.

Once removed, the cause needs to be correctly remedied and a new maintenance program with regular checks needs to be implemented.

OK enough words for now.
    Steven Hauser
    STT Sealers and Cleaners
    Products, Practices, and Programs

Years ago when I owned a small chem dist company I had some guy come in with a similar problem in a movie theater mens room. Urinal area smelled awful. I hooked them up with one of the Pro's Choice products from CTI (can't remember which one) - they just let it sit and soak into the grout for a bit while doing others things. Worked great. Give CTI a call and they will help you out.

Default dirt stinks

many years ago a carpet cleaning guy told me "dirt stinks" and if you apply the logic that all "dirt" would include urine and every other substance that collects on a floor over time, then you get a good idea of how odor works.

with carpet, removing odor requires much in the way of time, skill and effort (because of the layers of materials involved including the sub floor) than does tile and grout. tile and grout can be best treated for odor by application of an acid based cleaner and extracted. the chemical mentioned earlier by rugman from pros choice is probably their molecular modifier, which is an enzyme. this will digest the bacteria, but will not clean unless it is extracted. in a washroom a proper acrylic sealer is typically applied to make it easier to mop.

we clean a lot of customer showrooms. i never knew how much odor tile held until we started cleaning them. the staff would often tell me how much better the place smelled after cleaning. you can smell it cleaner right away. just plain old smelly dirt from foot traffic.

as far as urine, we see some customers confine animals to a single bathroom and just let them pee for months. this is gonna take an acid to clean. the odor should pass. let it dwell.

no sealer will help with such a case under any circumstance. if a pet owner is too lazy/irresponsible to see to his dogs there is no fix you can offer. if it did penetrate to the sub floor and you could still smell it, i would still clean w/ acid and then flood with the enzyme (there are many products similar to the pros choice) and then clean the residue after it had had time to penetrate through the dry grout. the grout would have to be dry for the enzyme to penetrate. have never had to do this. kind of a last resort.
    fabmast

IICRC
    (WTR, ASD, AMRT), MIA, BBB

There is so much that I wanna say to you but there's a show coming on that I wanna watch.
    Al Bundy

http://fabricmasters.com/
    Fabric Masters Jacksonville
    Google + Profile

what materials are needed in cleaning it?

area rug cleaning ny
    area rug cleaning nyc

To truly remove odor, you need to destroy the bacteria that produces it. Most products either mask the odor, try to remove the odor by overwhelming it with toxic substances (bleach, etc.) or other materials that do part of the job and not all of the job, or leave unhealthy residue behind to harm the health of the environment. One of the most highly proven disinfectors and odor removers has been chlorine dioxide, but the challenge has been to harness it in a usable and safe solution. That has now been done by a manufacturer with a product they call Sniper. We have been able to eliminate odors that most other products could not. It is a remarkable product with a lot of uses beyond odor removal, it eliminates VOCs, kills broad spectrum of bacteria, virus, mold and mildew and is a great cleaner as well. They are developing a carpet cleaner that we will be testing soon as well.

what kind of good chemicals?

i also had a problem with this..my cat pees on my carpet..the smell is not good. I had use a cleaning detergents to it and also a brush..is there any suggestion about this?

OSR from pro's choice is good. It will kill the bacteria but needs to be extracted from the carpet or grout to be effective.

It seems like most of the pet urine cleaners that people recommend contain an enzyme that breaks down the urine or converts it chemically. I know cat urine has a very strong ammonia odor to it. It's also important to let the enzyme cleaner saturate the grout and sit for a while before cleaning it.
    Karl - building tiled patios and sun rooms

i have a the same problem with beivabi..thanks for the information!

yeah i agree with you..i had a difficulty in removing its smell.

We do carpet too and I have found Skunk Out by Guaranteed Supply in Ilinois works great. I have used it numerous times on tile including some nasty commercial bathrooms. Strong but effective stuff. Solves many odor issues.

dave

maybe you should go to a professional carpet cleaner.

OSR works I think its from pro choice, mix with hot water and flood the grout lines it will penetrate and take the same route as the pee. This
    product works good on cat pee. I use it in my carpet cleaning biz too.