Default White spots on slate

I have a prospect on the 14th floor of a high rise. I haven't looked at it yet. They have a 12' x12' floor with slate which they say has white spots from something the installers put on it. I'll try to get a couple of pics from them. I'd like to have a heads up re what they may be caused by. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Kent
    Kent

Do you see a man skilled in his work?

He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men.
    Proverbs 22:29

probably grout/grouthaze. this could be the start of what could turn into the biggest PIA you have ever had in your life. there are many threads here on grout haze removal from slate. none has expressed adequately how difficult the removal is. if you choose to go into it, be forewarned it will take countless hours longer than your brain is initially capable of understanding. you will look at it and think it is no big deal, a little acid and away we go. you will be wrong. good luck.
    fabmast

IICRC
    (WTR, ASD, AMRT), MIA, BBB

There is so much that I wanna say to you but there's a show coming on that I wanna watch.
    Al Bundy

http://fabricmasters.com/
    Fabric Masters Jacksonville
    Google + Profile

Quote Originally Posted by fabmast View Post
    probably grout/grouthaze. this could be the start of what could turn into the biggest PIA you have ever had in your life. there are many threads here on grout haze removal from slate. none has expressed adequately how difficult the removal is. if you choose to go into it, be forewarned it will take countless hours longer than your brain is initially capable of understanding. you will look at it and think it is no big deal, a little acid and away we go. you will be wrong. good luck.
    I have one of these coming up whenever I have time to get to it. What makes it so difficult? I was going to hit it with acid, antiquing brushes then acrylic sealer. I didn't quote it: doing it hourly.

Default it slate

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Z View Post
    I have one of these coming up whenever I have time to get to it. What makes it so difficult? I was going to hit it with acid, antiquing brushes then acrylic sealer. I didn't quote it: doing it hourly.
    slate is just difficult to get 100% of the grout haze off. i used an acetic, w/ a nylon brush on the kroma and heated pressure from the TM. still a slight haze. this was after stripping old urethane and applying 4 coats of a solvent based sealer. applied the sealer to help w/ grout release. grout dust even started sticking to slate during removal. this after a 10 day sealer cure time. going to clean one last time and apply an enhancer to darken it a bit. looks kind of washed out. still a very light grout haze.i sincerely hope your job goes easier.
    fabmast

IICRC

There is so much that I wanna say to you but there's a show coming on that I wanna watch.
    Al Bundy

Google + Profile

Quote Originally Posted by fabmast View Post
    slate is just difficult to get 100% of the grout haze off. i used an acetic, w/ a nylon brush on the kroma and heated pressure from the TM. still a slight haze. this was after stripping old urethane and applying 4 coats of a solvent based sealer. applied the sealer to help w/ grout release. grout dust even started sticking to slate during removal. this after a 10 day sealer cure time. going to clean one last time and apply an enhancer to darken it a bit. looks kind of washed out. still a very light grout haze.i sincerely hope your job goes easier.
    Ya I am loving the hourly arrangement.

today i light acid washed again and then i did something i never ever thought i would do. it is only around 200sf, but i applied an enhancer by hand - to each tile - and wiped off the excess - from each tile. as i did it i was thinking to myself this is how installers must do it. i hardly thought a pad would conform to the ridges in each tile. used miracle sealents enhancer and wiped each tile after a couple of minutes to remove the residue. looked great. hope/pray to God in Heaven it dries that way.
    fabmast

IICRC

Al Bundy

Google + Profile

sorry for the delay guys. in the middle of a lippage job. ....thanks for the heads up. havent seen it yet but this is very helpful.
    Kent

lakeshore slate.jpegHere's a pic of the slate. I may go by there tomorrow. It appears to perhaps be moisture underneath a lacquer topical. What do you guys think?
    Kent

Pretty shiny.
    Ted McFadden
    Service: Sureshinecares.com
    Products: Easy Stone Care
    Information: Free Stone Refinishing "How To" Info

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Slate?

Doesn't look like it in the pic, and it's very shiney, best of luck.
    Tony
    Elite Carpet & Tile care

http://elitectc.com

C360_2012-06-28-17-34-36.jpgC360_2012-06-28-17-33-57.jpgC360_2012-06-28-17-44-31.jpg
    (By the way, I like how you can drag and rearrange the pics to put them in a different order...nice touch!)

Ok, went by there yesterday. Apparently what happened was these "tiles" were installed, then "bad job of sealing" was done by the installers. They came back and "corrected" it, in which this white smearing began to appear weeks later, resulting in what is seen in the pic on the left. (Appears to be moisture coming from underneath, most likely from the botched sealer applying/removal procedure. Office person can't give me any more info than that.) Others have thought it to be moisture also.

Middle pic is after I stripped the topical coating from the tile with Sulfamic Acid crystals from Aqua Mix, which the architect apparently brought and tried first. (Tried Lacquer Thinner/Acetone first, no luck!...that suprised me!)

**When I applied the Sulfamic Acid, the coating loosened and the exposed tile fizzed.

I then applied Enrich N Seal to the tile, which is the darkened part. (Doesn't seem to absorb like a slate.)

The pic on the right shows more of the contour of the tile.

The tile doesn't appear to be slate to me. Too smooth, very reactive to the acid. The gal mentioned something that it could be bluestone?

Apparently, the office gal is going to send me a sample of the original tile and I can go from there. (BTW, the architect/contractor/??? sold it to them as slate.) Please chime in if you'd like....Thanks

(never mind the pic below)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kent

Well, I just received the sample tile. Turns out it is a Flannel brushed Limestone by Walker Zanger.

Step 1: I need to remove the sealer/coating. Since Lacquer thinner, acetone didn't work(fumes would be an issue anyhow), I plan on removing what's on there with the Sulfamic Acid, since it did a good job already.

Step 2: If they want a darker color look, I'm thinking re-hone and either light polish/monkey pad hone/color enhancer.

After talking to them more to see what their end result expectation is, I plan on doing a sample to see what they are looking for.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kent

Looks like a problem with their cleaning chemical reacting to the sealer.
    Advanced Stone Restoration Hawaii
    www.asrhawaii.com
    Stone repair is my hobby.