Default Stripping Travertine

I have done numerous travertine strip jobs and they just keep coming. Sadly, installers around here think that sealing a floor means coat it with a bunch of crap.

My goal is to become as effecient as possible on these as I keep getting calls for them.

Most of them have been an absolute pain to strip. Barebones doesn't really get it done and I end up with AM Sealer & Coating Remover and razor blades. Especially for the edges.

My next one starts Thursday. Tested it and same thing as above. Barbones doesn't touch it but AM Remover does. AM Remover is so damn slippery, gooey, and slimey and wrecks all the equipment and cords and hoses. Not to mention that is softens the paint on the shoe molding.

I am taking this floor all the way to polish. What is the most aggressive pad I can use on my floor machine to cut thru this crap? I feel like going to a black pad but I don't need to run 220 + everywhere so I was thinking that a black pad would wreck the travertine so bad that I would have to, and maybe even 120.

My last one, last week, I used a blue 3M cleaner pad and it didn't really do it all the way. Especially on the edges. We ended up on out hands and knees with razor blades scraping the first 10" off the wall with AM Remover. It is this that I am trying to avoid and become more effecient and less slippery everywhere. One guy lost his footing on the AM REmover while on the floor machine and tweaked his back pretty bad.

I have a 80 grit Malish Grit Brush but I figured that would wreck the travertine too?

Thoughts?

"The enjoyment of quality lasts long after the price is forgotten."

We stripped one last night that was coated with reflecta polish. We had to go to AM sealer and coating remover to get it done. Put it on, let it dewll 20 minutes and used flexible paint scrappers to remove it into piles. It was a pain too. Bare bones, G strip, express all failed to strip completely. We tried dwelling then running the mal grit brush on the floor machine, but still had to use the scrapers so we just went straight to the scraper on the next block. We tried red pads too but they didn't get it all loosened up.

I think it just depends on what's on it, like always. None of that process seemed to affect the hone.
    Steve
    www.HSSflorida.com
    steve@TMTRecovery.com

TMTRecovery.com
    Training, Equipment and technical/sales support
    New and Used Truck Mounts
    Click on our banner ad on the left

ColorClad Distributor, Southeastern USA
    800-707-0037

Education is priceless and ignorance is expensive.

I wont do a stripping job inside unless the customer accepts the possibility of having to re paint their baseboards at their own expense. i just don't care enough about money to take these jobs regularly, and covering everything just ends up being a bigger mess.

the last one I did, the Johnson stripper wouldnt touch it, the AM took it off right away. It varies, I always try and find out what was used, but usually without any luck.

I would just use the black pad. I'd rather spend the time to do an extra cut than spend extra time stripping.

if you try and actually walk in the stripper, you'll hurt yourself. I just slide around like Im on ice. I use the cords for footing. I keep them all behind me, and you can walk on them. I usually hate having the cords behind me
    Cameron DeMille

Millestone Marble & Tile, Inc.
    Millsetonemarble.com
    Cameron@MillestoneMarble.com

SFA, MIA

Easy Stone Care
    EasyStoneCare.com
    Cameron@EasyStoneCare.com

I have a pair of shoes for crews and will be sporting them tomorrow. I am bringing in the Cimex with Green pads as well as the floor machine with green pad, AM remover applied with a 24" lambs wool applicator, 8" stand up razor scrapers, then nano scrub and alk wash and TM it all up with my newly upgraded Hot Shot with diesel heat of 280 deg at 1400 psi. Its gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
    TM it all up with my newly upgraded Hot Shot with diesel heat of 280 deg at 1400 psi. Its gotta do it.
    Sweet man! Did you fit it in the van or get a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Z View Post
    Sweet man! Did you fit it in the van or get a trailer?
    Neither, best of both............ A box truck!

i will post some pics soon

Neither, best of both............ A box truck!

i will post some pics soon
    Nice. Definitely post pics!

The floors that can't successfully be stripped with Bare Bones we will use S3 and get as much as possible off and then typically go to a 220 resin and work our way up. We've found that while you may think you stripped it all off, when it dries you'll still see sealer. Just did almost 3000 sq ft this past week. The dummies that keep putting this down help our bottom line. Baseboards are always the clients responsibility. If you don't provide for that exclusion you'll be working for practically nothing and tarnish your reputation.
    Ken

What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
    Bob Dylan (1941)

"The four most expensive words in the English language are, `This time it's different.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Ken A View Post
    The floors that can't successfully be stripped with Bare Bones we will use S3 and get as much as possible off and then typically go to a 220 resin and work our way up. We've found that while you may think you stripped it all off, when it dries you'll still see sealer. Just did almost 3000 sq ft this past week. The dummies that keep putting this down help our bottom line. Baseboards are always the clients responsibility. If you don't provide for that exclusion you'll be working for practically nothing and tarnish your reputation.
    S3? do you mean KS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Dude View Post
    I wont do a stripping job inside unless the customer accepts the possibility of having to re paint their baseboards at their own expense. i just don't care enough about money to take these jobs regularly, and covering everything just ends up being a bigger mess.

the last one I did, the Johnson stripper wouldnt touch it, the AM took it off right away. It varies, I always try and find out what was used, but usually without any luck.

I would just use the black pad. I'd rather spend the time to do an extra cut than spend extra time stripping.

if you try and actually walk in the stripper, you'll hurt yourself. I just slide around like Im on ice. I use the cords for footing. I keep them all behind me, and you can walk on them. I usually hate having the cords behind me
    I spent most of my life stripping ungodly amounts of wax off grocery store floors every night, I got so used to it I could literally run around on it with full control in just sneakers! But a tip if you are not that agile: Pantyhose. Put a pair of pantyhose over your shoes, its like magic, you couldnt slip if you wanted to on the nastiest floor....Just an FYI.

All Terrazzo...All the time...
    Jeremy
    www.TerrazzoGuy.Com
    Contact@TerrazzoGuy.Com

"With great powder comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Terrazzo Guy View Post
    I spent most of my life stripping ungodly amounts of wax off grocery store floors every night, I got so used to it I could literally run around on it with full control in just sneakers! But a tip if you are not that agile: Pantyhose. Put a pair of pantyhose over your shoes, its like magic, you couldnt slip if you wanted to on the nastiest floor....Just an FYI.

Cute, real cute I am sure.

reg. or fishnet? lol

Yes.
    Ken

What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
    Bob Dylan (1941)

"The four most expensive words in the English language are, `This time it's different.' "

S3? do you mean KS3?
    You're correct.
    Ken

Bob Dylan (1941)

Use honing powder like 180 grit with the stripper you find that works best.
    Its like like stripper on steroids.
    Combined with the heat should be a bit easier

Quote Originally Posted by srosen View Post
    Use honing powder like 180 grit with the stripper you find that works best.
    Its like like stripper on steroids.
    Combined with the heat should be a bit easier
    use the powder with a pad or a grit brush?

I ended up finding a stellar stripper made by Buckeye called Marauder. Liquified the super thick crap I was dealing with. No need for razor blade edge detail or a pad even. I still ran a blue pad over eveything just in case but I could have just turboed it up.

Wish I had had it on the 2000 ft down stairs that was AM coating remover and razor blades.......

sometimes you cant strip it. sometimes it has to be ground. i have spent hours w/ butyl based strippers only to have a small amount of finish (usually an acrylic from lowes) left when it dries. the heat wont help. i use a steamway mastermatic. no help. my deal now is i will try a pre paid spot to see if it can even be removed. heard the malish brush is the magic bullet. didnt think so. even w/ grinding you cant go to the edge so there is that to deal with w/ razor blades. great. btw on one i tried it was your honing powder that failed Stu, so i tried that too. i am a big fan of Stu's honing powder btw. on one i did the edge just wound up looking bad. went to the edge w/ 120 metals. wasn't the best job i ever did. so after all that best wishes. my advice is to be sure you can hack it on a 4x4' drop before you have the whole floor to deal with.
    fabmast

IICRC
    (WTR, ASD, AMRT), MIA, BBB

There is so much that I wanna say to you but there's a show coming on that I wanna watch.
    Al Bundy

http://fabricmasters.com/
    Fabric Masters Jacksonville
    Google + Profile

Hey Eric,
    You can use the powder with a pad or a brush-When stripping you will always need stripper to remove the coating. The honing powderjust seems to make it work so much more effectively. In some cases you may be able to consider it your first cut.

Harry,

That's the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by fabmast View Post
    sometimes you cant strip it. sometimes it has to be ground. i have spent hours w/ butyl based strippers only to have a small amount of finish (usually an acrylic from lowes) left when it dries. the heat wont help. i use a steamway mastermatic. no help. my deal now is i will try a pre paid spot to see if it can even be removed. heard the malish brush is the magic bullet. didnt think so. even w/ grinding you cant go to the edge so there is that to deal with w/ razor blades. great. btw on one i tried it was your honing powder that failed Stu, so i tried that too. i am a big fan of Stu's honing powder btw. on one i did the edge just wound up looking bad. went to the edge w/ 120 metals. wasn't the best job i ever did. so after all that best wishes. my advice is to be sure you can hack it on a 4x4' drop before you have the whole floor to deal with.
    Ken

Bob Dylan (1941)

Here is a 250m2, 2pac epoxy granite floor that we have just stripped and applied penetrating sealer. It turned out to be the floor from hell! We had to use methylene chloride to strip as nothing else would even look at it. What a prick of a job!20121014_130514.jpg20121209_110033.jpg

Amazing. Great project!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Reille View Post
    Here is a 250m2, 2pac epoxy granite floor that we have just stripped and applied penetrating sealer. It turned out to be the floor from hell! We had to use methylene chloride to strip as nothing else would even look at it. What a prick of a job!20121014_130514.jpg20121209_110033.jpg
    Ken

Bob Dylan (1941)