Default Mineral Deposits on Flagstone

I've got a job where the home owner wants the white mineral deposits removed from their flagstone which was installed all the way around their pool. The mineral deposits are at water level. I have already tried a 80gt antiquing brush with my right angle and it didn't even tickle the deposits.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what chemical and or hardware I can use to remove this deposits. Some thoughts are an orbital with extreme low grit or grit disk on my right angle.
    I am the last option before the homeowner has the flagstone ripped out so they are willing to pay a good amount for the job. I would hate to lose out on the opprotunity because I do not have the scoop on the right equipment or chemical to use.

Can someone please advise?

Beau Trimble
    Set in Stone Restoration
    www.setinstonerestoration.com

Sundevil:
    You've got the job and you don't even know what you're looking at?!...
    Sorry if I am... aggressive (you can even call me an a.h. if you want!), but it doesn't make sense to me at all.

First off, you don't even know what kind of stone it is (flagstone is not a type of stone: it could be anything from sandstone, slate, limestone, granite...) - yet, you just go out, give them an estimate (based upon what, only the gods know), get the job, and then you start fooling around with it without having a clue of what the real problem is, whether there's a solution or not, and, if there's a solution, which one it is...
    And once you're in the middle of the job and clearly way over your head, you go online hoping to find out what the hell you have to do...

WOW!!

It must be the "100% hands-on training" thing at work here!!!... Yeah, let's not spend any time talking and just let's get down to it!!

Most likely that "mineral deposit" is a bad case of efflorescence (considering where that stone - whatever that might be - is installed), and if this is the case, chances are that there's nothing that can be done, whether you're sorry to lose that "opportunity" (that was never there to begin with) or not.
    Once again...

WOW!!!!!
    MB STONE

www.mbstone.com - "Education Before any Sale!"

Smile Test

MB:
    I think Sundevil meant to say is he went on for an est/consultation and did a test with no results and was looking for other options and ideas other than what he tried.Correct me if I am wrong Sundevil.I myself have went out to look at projects and did small tests to find out what path needed to be taken and when none of the things I tried worked I would simply tell the customer I would consult some fellow stone pros and bump heads and customers usually appreciate the effort and if a solution is found rarely are they worried about price but rather the fact that you were diligent in your efforts to find a solution to their problem.No having said all that est are free consultations are not........

StoneDoc:

I've got a job
    This is what I read in the opening statement. It sounds pretty much cut and dry to me.

That, said, if it were only an exploratory thing, yeah, you're right: where's the estimate in that??
    That is plain consultation in my book!

Look, I know that some times I can be perceived like an aggressive jerk, but I never mean it. I only mean to tell whoever - in this case sundevil - that this ain't no way to run a business. I don't mean to patronize anybody; it is just that if we are here to help each other we have to be ready also to take the heat if we do something silly.
    And ultimately, it is the best piece of advice and the best help that one can get.
    Brutally put down maybe, but all the same effective - actually probably more!! Or at least I sure hope so!!
    MB STONE

www.mbstone.com - "Education Before any Sale!"

Talking

MB, Stone Doc is correct in his perception of my situation. I know that you can quote me at "I've got a job" when I should have placed the word "possible" before "job". I have yet to give an estimate as I do not know what it is going to take to remove this mineral deposit or "effloesance". The job was extended to me after the homeowner observed what a great job we did on their travertine. It was more like a "can you take a look at this and see what you can do" situation, not a yea I can fix that and here is my price situation, in reality not knowing what was going on with their stone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but what better of an opprotunity to find a fix on a stone that will be ripped out if I do not find a solution. As far as being too broad on my specification of the stone, well that goes with the territory of this whole industry. Can anyone actually say that they've known the true geological makeup of EVERY stone they ever worked on? I know that you are a walking natural stone book MB, but some of us have to rely on a guesstimation of what we are working on and looking at without the exact detail of the stone we are working on. I respect your criticisms but some things are trial and error. We seek advice to reduce the the trial time and minimize the impact of the error.
    I have taken your course in Philly and read your book on stone restoration along with other readings for this industry. That in itself shows that I approach every job with an education and knowledge concerning my profession. Granted with broad scale of stone that people have installed in their homes, it will take some time to build on my confidence go into the majority of restoration jobs KNOWING if a solution is feasible and possible but everyday I expand on my knowledge, thus making this a realistic vision.
    By the way MB, if you continue to come across "like an aggressive jerk" this close to the holidays, Santa will pass your house up

Talking

MB, Stone Doc is correct in his perception of my situation. I know that you can quote me at "I've got a job" when I should have placed the word "possible" before "job". I have yet to give an estimate as I do not know what it is going to take to remove this mineral deposit or "effloesance". The job was extended to me after the homeowner observed what a great job we did on their travertine. It was more like a "can you take a look at this and see what you can do" situation, not a yea I can fix that and here is my price situation, in reality not knowing what was going on with their stone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but what better of an opprotunity to find a fix on a stone that will be ripped out if I do not find a solution. As far as being too broad on my specification of the stone, well that goes with the territory of this whole industry. Can anyone actually say that they've known the true geological makeup of EVERY stone they ever worked on? I know that you are a walking natural stone book MB, but some of us have to rely on a guesstimation of what we are working on and looking at without the exact detail of the stone we are working on. I respect your criticisms but some things are trial and error. We seek advice to reduce the the trial time and minimize the impact of the error.
    I have taken your course in Philly and read your book on stone restoration along with other readings for this industry. That in itself shows that I approach every job with an education and knowledge concerning my profession. Granted with broad scale of stone that people have installed in their homes, it will take some time to build on my confidence go into the majority of restoration jobs KNOWING if a solution is feasible and possible but everyday I expand on my knowledge, thus making this a realistic vision.
    By the way MB, if you continue to come across "like an aggressive jerk" this close to the holidays, Santa will pass your house up

Default calcium deposits

If the white residue is calcium deposits around the waterline in the pool, the following website will help you. http://www.cleanpooltile.com

I hope Santa comes by on my roof this X-mas, and MB house' s roof. too. Happy Holiday.

For extreme restoration cases we have used a wire cup brush attached to our drill. This works well on uneven surfaces to remove stubborn residue like coatings and mineral deposits. We resort to this when chemicals, razor blades and sandpaper has failed. The problem with removing the white residue at the waterline in swimming pools is that the residue will be back soon... it's inevitable.
    Attached Images Attached Images